Monday 6 August 2012

Kit review- Inov-8 Road-X 255 road trainer


I purchased these Inov-8s as my Asics died on me and I've taken the decision to get into minimalist running. I was sold on the fact that these were a "transition" shoe for on-road running, having transitioned already to Inov-8 X-Talon 212s for trail running. I wouldn't consider any other make at the moment due to how fantastic my X-Talons and Mudsocks have been from Inov-8.





As my main sport is obstacle running (Tough Mudder, Spartan, Tough Guy, etc) I wanted a shoe that I could use on the road which would be a similar makeup and to the X-Talon, whilst giving a little more support whilst I get used to hitting harder surfaces in "minimalist".

I've been using them for about 2 months and so far they have been amazing. Very lightweight for a non-race everyday running shoe and considering these are the heaviest Inov-8s for the road that is saying something. My old Asics feel like running with bricks and now, particularly on short-distance runs of 1-3 miles, my times have improved dramatically since using these. I hope to eventually move to a more hardcore of the Inov-8s but for the foreseeable future, these are perfect for me.

Even on my road runs I regularly run through water (fords and rivers)- The Road-X 255s have shown no sign of wear, they dry out extremely quickly and the laces stay tight even through the longer runs.

These are minimalist shoes, so if you're not used to running in a minimalist shoe you should take precautions to both bed them and your feet in correctly. Using a traditional running technique that you would use with cushioned trainers can result in some pretty nasty injuries. There is loads of advice about this on the Internet and through your doctor- I found this link particularly useful. As with everything on this blog I'm no expert, I'm just listing what I did. Take professional advice if you feel you need it!

Cannot recommend them highly enough for anyone wanting to start out in minimalist running.

www.inov-8.com

No comments:

Post a Comment